Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Update - Mayport - First, Do No Harm

Last night, the Jacksonville City Council voted to send the three bills related to JaxPort's proposal to build a terminal for cruise ships at Mayport back to committee, citing a lawsuit over possible violations of the Sunshine Law.

Perhaps the City Council was merely following sound legal advice. I don't know - I'm not a lawyer. I do think it is curious how often proposals from JaxPort and its twin, the Jacksonville Airport Authority, are introduced to the City Council only to be withdrawn or deferred. It is as if they are engaged in a war of attrition - Maybe they hope people will eventually get tired of paying attention to a proposal and they can go on with their plan without anyone noticing. They have the advantage - they get paid to lobby City Council, while most of us have to take time out of our busy lives. I know it was a challenge for me to be at the meeting last night, and the uncertainty over when or if I would have the opportunity to speak ruled out any kind of real plan for the evening.

Members of the community do have one advantage - they aren't going anywhere.

My understanding is the legal challenges to JaxPort's proposal have just begun. They might prove effective in stopping the ill-conceived boondoggle. If not, they will have provided opponents with valuable time to organize.

No comments: